Revolving restaurant
Scampi
2004-02-15 22:35:39 UTC
Is there a revolving restaurant in UK, similiar to the one in Toronto?
congokid
2004-02-15 23:19:04 UTC
Post by Scampi
Is there a revolving restaurant in UK, similiar to the one in Toronto?
There was one at the top of the BT Tower in London which used to be open
to the public, but it closed in the early '80s.

Have a look at
http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/ate/main/postofficetower/index.html
--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
http://congokid.com
Alastair Ross
2004-02-16 17:22:45 UTC
Post by congokid
Post by Scampi
Is there a revolving restaurant in UK, similiar to the one in Toronto?
There was one at the top of the BT Tower in London which used to be open
to the public, but it closed in the early '80s.
Have a look at
http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/ate/main/postofficetower/index.html
--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
http://congokid.com
I was lucky enough to be invited by BT to a meeting at the BT Tower last
year that finished up with drinks and dinner up the tower - excellent views
and excellent food.

A.

--------
Alastair Ross

email: alastair "at" hillwalking.org.uk
web: http://www.hillwalking.org.uk - for hillwalking and books
web: http://www.eat-the-chef.com - for restaurants and wine
congokid
2004-02-16 22:23:21 UTC
Post by Alastair Ross
Post by congokid
Post by Scampi
Is there a revolving restaurant in UK, similiar to the one in Toronto?
There was one at the top of the BT Tower in London which used to be open
to the public, but it closed in the early '80s.
Have a look at
http://www.lightstraw.co.uk/ate/main/postofficetower/index.html
--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google
http://congokid.com
I was lucky enough to be invited by BT to a meeting at the BT Tower last
year that finished up with drinks and dinner up the tower - excellent views
and excellent food.
A first hand account - fab. For a long time I'd assumed the restaurant
had been taken away.

I missed out on the chance to eat there in 1977. I happened to be
passing one day and the restaurant was offering lunch for UKP7. A
bargain now, but I was a student at the time and almost penniless. That
would have fed me for about a week in Belfast.

Later in the mid '80s, when I worked at the Middlesex Hospital Medical
School just the other side of Howland Street, the tower was about the
only thing I could see out my window. Of course by then there was no
chance of getting in.

There was a photo that must have been taken shortly after the IRA bomb
in the early '70s - the top of the BT tower, with chunks of metal and
masonry dangling from it by cables, just visible through a large jagged
hole in the school's fifth floor roof that had presumably been caused by
falling debris.
http://congokid.com
Graham Wilson
2004-02-16 20:13:27 UTC
Post by Scampi
Is there a revolving restaurant in UK, similiar to the one in Toronto?
I went up a revolving restaurant in Germany.

Our group sat down to dinner and all of us started to feel sick within
about five minutes.

It took about 40 minutes for the restaurant to fully revolve. The
movement was so slow that your brain was telling you that you were
moving but your eyes were not.

We felt a little embarassed when the waiter came back ten minutes
later. None of us felt like eating and we just all ordered coffee.

The waiter was perfectly fine about it. He said quite a lot of people
who came up the tower found they suddenly did not fancy dinner.

He said it was funny when people who felt sick decided to try and eat
dinner and then decided it was a bad idea and they then needed to do a
runner to the toilet. Oppppsssss - were's the toilet door moved
too.....

Be warned!

Graham

***@dircon.co.uk
Scampi
2004-02-16 22:30:45 UTC
Post by Graham Wilson
Post by Scampi
[...]
Does that mean there is no other revolving restaurant in UK that is
currently operational? Seems strange that an international city like London
doesn't have one as I would have thought it would be very popular. I see a
gap in the market....